This is my first official summer recipe as it’s getting really really hot over here. If you need to cool down, why not feast on flavored ice shavings aka granita? My version is sweetened naturally with fruit. I’ve chosen a delicious combination of watermelon, strawberry and limes but you could totally do this with any other fruits you have on hand, the process is essential the same; blend, freeze, shave.
However there is just something about the combination of basil and strawberry that makes this recipe a must try! It’s a great way to get in your five a day and it world also work well as a smoothie or juice so if you don’t have the time to freeze, simply drink as is.
- 3 cups watermelon chunks
- 1 cup hulled strawberries
- 3 basil leaves
- 3 limes, juiced
- Blend all the ingredients on high speed. Place in a shallow pan, I used a square baking pan so it was easier to shave the ice.
- Freeze until icy around edges, about 25 minutes. Using fork, stir icy portions into middle of pan.
- Freeze until mixture is frozen, stirring edges into center every 20 to 30 minutes,for about 2 hours. Using fork, scrape granita into flaky crystals.
- Cover tightly and freeze. Garnish with berries and serve.